File sharing permissions
Learn the functionality of the file sharing permission and how to manage it in the Meshnet permission menu.
This article provides information about Meshnet’s file sharing permission and explains how the permission impacts your Meshnet peer’s device while enabled or disabled. In addition, you will learn how to manage the file sharing permission for each individual device in your Meshnet.
The file sharing permission allows you to send and receive files between your Meshnet peers directly via the NordVPN application. By default, file sharing is allowed for all devices in your Meshnet. For more information, see Sharing files in Meshnet.
When you enable file sharing for a specific Meshnet peer, you can start receiving files from that device. This allows you to exchange various file types in a secure manner.
Figure 1. File sharing via Meshnet
As illustrated in the model above, with file sharing enabled on both devices, the files can be sent and received bidirectionally.
If you disable the file sharing permission for one of your Meshnet peers, you will not receive any files from that device. However, unless the peer disables file sharing for you, you can still send files to the peer’s device.
If you want to change the status of the file sharing permission, you can do so for each device individually. The Meshnet permission view also indicates whether your peer has enabled or disabled the permission for your device:
To manage the file sharing permission, proceed with the following instructions:
iOS and Android
- 2.On the left-side menu, select the Meshnettab.
- 3.Click the device that you want to alter the permissions for.
- 4.Under File sharing permissions, turn on or off the Receiving files from linked device toggle.
- 2.Tap the Meshnettab at the bottom of the screen.
- 3.Select Manage devices.
- 4.Tap the Permissions area under the device that you want to alter the permissions for.
- 5.Under File sharing permissions, turn on or off Receiving files from linked device.
You can also choose whether to automatically accept file transfers from this sender without receiving a transfer request. To do this, turn on or off the Always accept transfers from this device toggle.
- 2.On the left-side menu, select Meshnet.
- 3.Click the Morebutton next to the device that you want to alter the permissions for.
- 4.Select the Don't allow receiving files or the Allow receiving files option.
- 1.Open the terminal.
- 2.Run the following command to list your Meshnet peers:nordvpn meshnet peer list
- 3.Note the Nord name of the peer device you want to alter permissions for.
- 4.To either allow or disable the permission, use one of the following commands, replacing
<NordName>with the peer’s Nord name or Meshnet IP:nordvpn meshnet peer fileshare allow <NordName>nordvpn meshnet peer fileshare deny <NordName>