Using traffic routing on Windows
Learn how to handle Meshnet's traffic routing feature on Windows.
To start using traffic routing, make sure that the device you want to route traffic through meets the following criteria:
- The NordVPN app is running, and the Meshnet feature is enabled in the app.
- The device is connected to your Meshnet.
You can add devices to your Meshnet in two ways, depending on device ownership:
To start routing traffic on Windows, follow these steps:
- 1.Open NordVPN and select the Meshnettab.
- 2.Click the Route traffic card.
- 3.Find the host device that you want to use and click Route all traffic.
When routing traffic for the first time, you will receive a prompt detailing the caveats of traffic routing. Read this information and click Continue to proceed with the connection.
Upon connecting, the peer device’s section in the traffic routing menu will change the background color from white to blue.
Alternatively, you can do the following:
- 1.Open NordVPN and expand the connection menu.
- 2.Locate the Devices in Meshnet section.
- 3.Click the device that you want to route traffic through.
Once connected, you will see the host device’s Nord name on the main application page.
Additionally, you can check your new IP address and the ISP by hovering your mouse cursor over the Meshnet peer device icon.
You can utilize your preferred DNS addresses for the traffic routing connection by using the app's Custom DNS feature. The DNS servers can be entered in NordVPN's Settings
> Connection > Use custom DNS dropdown menu.
To stop traffic routing, you can use the following methods:
- Click the Disconnectbutton on the main application page.
- Click the Stop routing button on the Meshnettab.
Connection pause is currently not available while routing traffic through a Meshnet peer device.