How to create a private Stardew Valley server
Learn how to host your Stardew Valley server on desktop devices and play with your friends using Meshnet.
Local area network (LAN) gaming has seen a decrease in popularity over the years. A primary cause of this decline is the multiplayer dependency on cloud-based servers. This means that connections from all participants go through a dedicated server and only then reach others. However, some games still allow hosting a LAN server, for example, Stardew Valley.
Stardew Valley is a popular role-playing simulation game. It has an easy-to-use interface that enables you to create your own private server with a few clicks. Nevertheless, LAN gaming has a drawback, the fact that all participants have to be located on the same network. But now, by using Meshnet on your devices, you can create your own virtual LANs. This technology allows your peers from all over the world to join your server.
This guide will cover the process of setting up your own Stardew Valley server and show how your friends can join the server over Meshnet.
Ensure the following:
- Stardew Valley is installed on your device.
- Your friends are also connected to you on Steam.
This guide is applicable for Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems.
To start your own Stardew Valley Meshnet server, do the following:
- 1.Open Stardew Valley and click the Co-op button in the main menu.
- 2.Select the Host tab and choose Host new farm.
- 3.Customize your farm and character settings and click OK.
- 4.Once you load your new farm, click Esc.
- 5.Head to the Options tab, scroll down to the Multiplayer section, and ensure that the Accept IP connections checkbox is selected.
With all of the steps completed, your server is up and running and ready to be connected with Meshnet.
To connect to your server, your friends must also have Meshnet enabled on their system. With that done, they can join your server by taking these steps:
- 1.Copy the server device’s Meshnet IP address from the NordVPN application.
- 2.Open Stardew Valley, select Co-op, and click Join LAN game.
- 3.Paste the Meshnet IP address in the Enter IP field by clicking the button on the right.
- 4.Click OK.
- 5.Select the listed farm, customize your character settings, and click OK.
The selected farm will load, and you will be able to enjoy playing on a private Stardew Valley server over a secure Meshnet connection.
Last modified 12d ago