How to play Roblox over Meshnet
Learn how to host a Roblox Studio server and access it over Meshnet on Windows.
Roblox is a widely popular online game and creation platform. Roblox allows you to take part in pre-configured multiplayer game modes as well as develop and test your own. The software used for the development process is called Roblox Studio. The Roblox Studio environment caters to all skill levels, from beginners to seasoned veterans. Additionally, in Roblox Studio you can host a local area network (LAN) session to play on your created map with others.
However, as the name suggests, LAN sessions are limited to the local network, and people from the outside cannot reach it. This is where Meshnet for Roblox comes to your aid. Meshnet connects devices to a virtual local network using encrypted VPN tunnels. With the help of this technology, devices located in different networks can securely interact with each other as if they were on the same LAN.
This guide will show you how you can host a Roblox game server using Roblox Studio and connect to it from a remote device over Meshnet.
Here are a couple of steps to take before you start the server configuration process:
The game server will only be reachable via Roblox Studio. Ensure that other devices that will be connecting to your server have the application installed as well.
This setup is suitable only for devices using Windows.
In the article, a machine running Windows 11 is used as an example.
To configure your Roblox server, follow these steps:
- 1.Open Roblox Studio and log in to your Roblox account.
- 2.Select the template for your map. Alternatively, you can upload a pre-made map file by clicking File > Open from file.
- 3.Once the map is loaded, head to the Test tab.
- 4.In the Clients and servers section, ensure that the Local server option is selected. If you’re playing on the server machine, select 1 player; otherwise, select 0 player.
- 5.Click Start to start the server.
The Roblox server is now active and, with the help of Meshnet, your friends can join the server remotely. To connect to the server, take the following steps:
- 1.Right-click the Roblox Studio shortcut on your desktop and select Open file location.
- 2.In the new folder, click the address bar and copy the path specified there.
- 3.Open Command Prompt by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard, typing in
cmd, and pressing Enter.
cdand paste in the copied path surrounded by quotation marks. Examplecd "C:\Users\secretmeerkat\AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions\version-a703ed79f7344276"
- 5.Copy the server device’s Nord name from the NordVPN application by clicking it.
- 6.To connect to the Roblox server, run the following command, where
<NordName>is the Nord name or the Meshnet IP of the server device:RobloxStudioBeta.exe -task StartClient -server <NordName> -port 53640Example
The command will open Roblox Studio and automatically connect you to the specified server.
Now you can enjoy playing the game with your friends, even if you are located far away from each other.
The process of connecting to a server can get tiresome since you have to navigate to the correct path and execute a command with several parameters each time. With the help of batch scripts, this process can be automated. Creating a simple script will allow you to connect to the Meshnet Roblox server with a click of a button.
The content of the script could be as follows:
title Connect to a Roblox server.
echo Starting Roblox...
start RobloxStudioBeta.exe -task StartClient -server <NordName> -port 53640
echo This window will close automatically in 10 seconds.
timeout /t 10
To create a connection script for your server, perform these steps:
- 1.Open Notepad.
- 2.Paste the previously provided lines, replacing
<Path\To\Folder>with the directory of Roblox Studio from Step 2 in the Connect to the server using Meshnet section and
<NordName>with the server device’s Nord name. Example
- 3.Click File > Save as.
- 4.From the Save as type list, select All files, and use a file name with a
.batextension. For example,
RobloxMeshnetConnect.bat. Click Save.
Now, when you open the
.batfile, the following sequence of actions takes place:
- 1.A command prompt window is opened.
- 2.Roblox Studio is launched.
- 3.The connection process to the specified server begins.
- 4.The command prompt window closes after 10 seconds.